Posting Number: 20110519
Job Title: Land Conservation Specialist (Cass County IL)
Classification: Non-Exempt Staff
Rate of Pay: $38,144/Commensurate with experience
Type of Position: Full-Time
Organizational Unit: NGRREC-Environmental Sustainability
Position Reports To Conservation Programs Manager
Purpose of Position:
The National Great Rivers Research and Education Center (NGRREC) is seeking a Land Conservation Specialist to actively provide agricultural conservation assistance to USDA-NRCS in a multi-county region. The primary purposes of the position will be to provide conservation planning, outreach, and mid-contract management assistance to agricultural producers in order to leverage Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) opportunities to achieve wildlife and water quality goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Land Conservation Specialist will be expected to provide conservation assistance to agricultural and private landowners. This specialist will be a technical expert on all aspects of the Conservation Reserve Program, filling key needs to secure and improve conservation acres on the ground. Primary focuses will include data collection and consultation with agricultural producers about conservation plans for new CRP establishments, compiling CRP conservation options for prospective landowners, and providing technical information to landowners about mid-contract management practices necessary to maintain high quality restorations throughout the duration of their CRP contracts. Land conservation specialists may also assist with Wetland Reserve Program/Wetland Reserve Easement (WRP/WRE) monitoring and administration as needed.
This position is one of several positions of the private lands conservation hub coordinated by the National Great Rivers Research & Education Center. Additional professional development through field training, professional conferences and workshops, and online courses, is a priority for this position.
- Working with NRCS staff to develop conservation plans consistent with the landowner’s objectives on new CRP establishments.
- Actively new targeting CRP conservation with landowner outreach and one-on-one consultation.
- Providing information and outreach to agricultural producers about CRP mid-contract management practices, such as prescribed fire, strip disking, strip spraying, interseeding, and timber stand improvement.
- Writing wildlife and burn plans for CRP contracts.
- Facilitating positive working relationships with local agency staff, agricultural producers, and other stakeholder groups.
- Understanding and providing information to landowners about the suite of state and federal conservation programs for the purposes of implementing conservation practices and BMPs for watershed, soil, and wildlife goals.
- Developing field specific project plans and cost estimates.
- Assisting NRCS with administrative, outreach, and CRP/WRE monitoring needs.
The following are duties that are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a natural resources field, with a concentration in forestry, wildlife biology, ecology, botany or related field. Strong interest in and knowledge of biology, ecology and management of wildlife and their habitat requirements and habitat management techniques are essential.
- Requires familiarity with wildlife management and forest management practices for habitat restoration.
- Requires familiarity with a variety of computer software applications including Microsoft Office Suite and ArcGIS Suite.
- Requires effective organizational, written, and verbal skills.
- Requires the ability to work efficiently and effectively with others (i.e. NRCS, FSA, IDNR, NGOs, SWCDs, etc.), as well as independently, and be able to prioritize a heavy and varied workload.
- Requires possession of valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and vehicle insurance coverage meeting state minimum requirements at all times.
- A background in agriculture and/or working knowledge of agriculture is desirable.
- Working knowledge of the Conservation Reserve Program and/or other Farm Bill conservation programs is desirable.
- Field work may be taxing. Land Conservation Specialists will need to be strong hikers and comfortable working in adverse environmental conditions to gain access to sites and complete field work efficiently.
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00-4:30
Open Date: 07/08/2020
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants:
FUNDED BY RESTRICTED PROGRAM FUNDS
The Land Conservation Specialist’s primary duty station will be the Cass County USDA Service Center in Virginia, IL. The Land Conservation Specialist will work within a multi-county region surrounding Cass County, IL.
Work hours are 37.5 hours per week, M-F. Job includes both office and field work. Mandatory drug test and security background check, with fingerprinting, will be required of the selected applicant. This position will be a term position, which may be extended if funding is available.
Lewis & Clark Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, LCCC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. It is also the policy of the College to prohibit any form of harassment based on an individual’s protected status, such as gender, color, race, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation or other protected group status as defined by law. If interested, please contact the Human Resource Department, Erickson Hall – Room 107.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.